Johannesburg (Parliament Politics Magazine) – British PM Sir Keir Starmer will speak with Donald Trump as Kyiv’s allies reject parts of the US-Ukraine plan, ahead of key Geneva talks on revising the proposal.
As reported by The Independent, Sir Keir Starmer plans to discuss President Donald Trump’s peace proposal within days, after Ukraine’s allies warned the plan needs urgent revision.
The Labour leader also expects to hold talks with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky on Saturday, ahead of US, Ukrainian, and European security advisers meeting in Switzerland to review the details.
The prime minister and other global leaders have criticised the US-drafted peace plan for Ukraine, citing concerns over military caps, territorial concessions, and Nato membership restrictions.
Following their meeting at the Johannesburg G20 summit, which President Trump skipped, the leaders labelled Washington’s plan created with Moscow as “a basis requiring further work.”
What did Keir Starmer say about the Ukraine peace plan and the allied review?
Sir Keir Starmer said,
“We are concerned about (caps on military) because it’s fundamental that Ukraine has to be able to defend itself if there’s a ceasefire.”
He added that the allies of Ukraine admitted that
“there are elements in the 28-point plan which are essential to lasting peace, but it requires additional work, and that we are going to engage on that.”
The prime minister said,
“And that’s why there’s been the agreement that in Geneva tomorrow, you’ll have senior US personnel, you’ll have European NSAs, including the UK NSA, and obviously Ukrainians there to work further on the draft.”
When questioned whether the timeline is realistic, the Labour leader replied,
“Obviously, I think it should be done as soon as possible, but it’s got to be a just and lasting peace, and so we’ve got to get it right.”
He stated,
“I think we’ll be in a better position to know once the meeting in Geneva has taken place tomorrow, because that’s the opportunity for the US Ukraine and European NSAs to go through quite a bit of detail.”
The prime minister has not spoken recently with President Trump, who was absent from the South Africa G20 summit.
Asked if they had been in contact since the peace plan emerged, the prime minister added,
“I’m in touch with him fairly regularly, as you know, and I’ll no doubt talk to him in the coming days.”
Mr Starmer confirmed,
“[There are] no plans to visit Washington. The focus is on tomorrow in Geneva, and we just need to see how far we get with that. But I am expecting to talk to President Trump in the coming days.”
What did European leaders say about the US-Ukraine peace plan?
In a joint statement, European leaders described the US 28-point plan for Ukraine as a draft “but requiring additional work.”
The statement reads,
“We welcome the continued US efforts to bring peace to Ukraine. The initial draft of the 28-point plan includes important elements that will be essential for a just and lasting peace.”
It states,
“We believe therefore that the draft is a basis which will require additional work. We are ready to engage in order to ensure that a future peace is sustainable. We are clear on the principle that borders must not be changed by force. We are also concerned by the proposed limitations on Ukraine’s armed forces, which would leave Ukraine vulnerable to future attack.”
The statement adds,
“We reiterate that the implementation of elements relating to the European Union and relating to Nato would need the consent of EU and Nato members respectively. We take this opportunity to underline the strength of our continued support to Ukraine. We will continue to coordinate closely with Ukraine and the US over the coming days.”
What did an EU official say about the Ukraine peace plan?
According to an EU official, the peace deal is progressing rapidly, with events “unfolding at great speed.”
The official said,
“The objective is simple and unchanged: to keep supporting Ukraine to reach a just and lasting peace. We therefore need to remain closely engaged with President Zelenskyy.”
The official stated that while the US draft includes “important elements essential for a just and lasting peace,” additional revisions are required.
They added,
“In particular, some elements of the draft plan concern directly and solely the EU. The implementation of these elements must be agreed within the EU.”
What did Volodymyr Zelensky say about the US peace proposal?
Volodymyr Zelensky said Saturday that real peace must be built on guaranteed security and justice.
He added,
“Our representatives know how to protect Ukraine’s national interests and what exactly is needed to prevent Russia from carrying out a third invasion, another blow to Ukraine.”
President Zelensky told the nation in a video message that Ukrainian delegates in Switzerland
“know how to safeguard national interests and prevent another Russian invasion.”
What is the US plan for Ukraine-Russia?
Donald Trump’s plan proposes using $100 billion of frozen Russian assets for US-led reconstruction in Ukraine, granting the US 50% of profits, alongside a $100 billion European contribution for infrastructure and economic recovery.
Under the plan, Ukraine would hold elections within 100 days of a peace agreement, though
ongoing martial law currently makes this challenging.
The peace plan sees the US acknowledging Crimea, Luhansk, and Donetsk as de facto Russian territories, with other frontlines like Kherson and Zaporizhzhia remaining frozen, and partial Russian withdrawals expected.
The proposal includes a non-aggression deal covering Russia, Ukraine, and Europe, as well as a US-led security dialogue between Russia and NATO.
Under the proposed plan, the US seeks to renew arms control agreements with Russia and promote economic cooperation in areas such as technology and natural resources, while a US-led Peace Council would oversee enforcement.

