KFC is an American fast food restaurant chain that first opened in Kentucky in 1952. It is now the second-largest restaurant chain after McDonald’s and is known for their crispy Original Recipe Chicken.
The fast food chain is a billion dollar company and offers fans different varieties of chicken including burgers, popcorn chicken and their famous buckets.
However their pieces of Original Recipe Chicken remain the firm favourite for KFC fans.
KFC said: “The Colonel’s Original Recipe chicken is seasoned with our secret blend of 11 herbs & spices and then hand breaded all day long by a certified cook.”
While the 11 herbs and spices remain unknown, there are recipes available to recreate the famous chicken.
- One tablespoon paprika
- Two teaspoons onion salt
- One teaspoon chilli powder
- One teaspoon black pepper
- Half teaspoon celery salt
- Half teaspoon dried sage
- Half teaspoon garlic powder
- Half teaspoon ground allspice
- Half teaspoon dried oregano
- Half teaspoon dried basil
- Half teaspoon dried marjoram
- One and half cups all-purpose flour
- One tablespoon brown sugar
- One tablespoon kosher salt
- One whole chicken
- One egg white
- Oil, for frying
- Preheat the fryer or oven to 175 degrees celsius and thoroughly mix all spices.
- Combine spices with flour, brown sugar and salt.
- Dip chicken pies in egg white to lightly coat, then put in flour and spice mixture.
- Turn the chicken to make sure it is coated in the flour.
- Repeat with all chicken pieces.
- Let chicken pieces rest for five minutes.
- Fry chicken in batches until they are golden brown.
- A thermometer may be used to make sure the chicken is cooked and the thickest part should be 73 degrees celsius.
- Let chicken drain on a paper towel.
- This can also be made in the oven but frying will produce crispier chicken.
This year, KFC also released a new burger for Christmas – the Gravy Burger Box Meal.
The burger comes with a hash brown gravy boat inside and features an Original Recipe chicken fillet topped with a slice of cheese.
The hash brown is placed in the burger so that when the iconic KFC’s gravy is poured onto the burger, it soaks it up.
Announcing the launch, the fast food chain said: “We see you. Yeah you. The one who queues eagerly to get a taste of KFC’s gravy. The one ordering that extra pot to liberally dunk, dip or drizzle.
“The gravy addict who stocks up the fridge way ahead of Christmas Day.
“Every year you go to great lengths to get your KFC gravy fix, so this Christmas we’ve got a tree-mendous (sorry!) treat for you.”(sic)
Channel 4 goes behind the scenes tonight at KFC as the chain prepares to face Christmas after one of their most challenging years.
The documentary description reads: “Behind-the-scenes at the fast food chain in the run-up to Christmas, as a brand new festive burger is launched in a bid to keep regular customers coming back during lockdown.
“The programme follows the daily struggles of the franchise owners keeping their businesses going against all odds, and the staff pulling out all the stops to end the year as a success.”