Gaza (Parliament Politics Magazine) – Israeli air and ground strikes killed 18 near Gaza City as Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu’s cabinet plans next moves and aid flotillas prepare to enter.
As reported by The Guardian, Israeli airstrikes and gunfire killed around 18 people, while Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s security cabinet prepared to discuss seizing the city.
What did happen in Sheikh Radwan during Israeli shelling and airstrikes?
Residents of Sheikh Radwan, a major Gaza City neighbourhood, came under continuous Israeli tank shelling and airstrikes from Saturday into Sunday, forcing families to flee.
Local officials reported 13 deaths near a food distribution point in central Gaza from Israeli strikes. Two additional deaths occurred in a Gaza City home. The Israeli army said it was reviewing the report.
Rezik Salah, a father of two in Sheikh Radwan, said Israeli forces were entering Gaza City from the east, north, and south. He added that air and ground bombings were being used to force residents to flee.
In Barcelona, a humanitarian aid flotilla including Greta Thunberg is prepared to set sail for Gaza. The departure came two days after Israel ended temporary pauses. These pauses had allowed some aid deliveries, aiming to bring relief to civilians amid the ongoing conflict.
What did Israel plan next in Gaza as civilian evacuations are considered?
In Jerusalem, Israeli officials said Prime Minister Netanyahu’s security cabinet would meet on Sunday to discuss the next stages of the planned Gaza City offensive. However, a large-scale attack is not expected to start immediately.
Officials say Israel intends to move the civilian population out before sending in more troops. According to Mirjana Spoljaric of the Red Cross, such an evacuation could trigger massive population displacement that other areas of Gaza could not handle.
How the Gaza crisis escalates as thousands die and famine hits half a million?
Tel Aviv saw major demonstrations against the government on Saturday night.
The following morning, families of Hamas-held hostages protested outside the homes of government ministers.
Mohammed Sinwar, Hamas’ presumed leader in Gaza, was confirmed dead by the group on Sunday. Israel said it had located his body more than three months earlier in a hospital in Khan Younis.
The war started on 7 October 2023 when Hamas attacked southern Israel. It killed about 1,200 civilians and took 251 hostages; 47 remain in Gaza, with around 20 still alive.
At least 63,000 Palestinians, mostly civilians, have died in Israel’s strikes, the Gaza health ministry reports. The violence has destroyed infrastructure across Gaza and triggered a severe humanitarian crisis.
How did activists prepare the largest humanitarian flotilla for Gaza?
Barcelona launched an aid flotilla carrying international activists, including anti-war campaigners, European lawmakers, and former mayor Ada Colau.
The Sumud (“Perseverance”) flotilla organisers describe the operation as seeking to halt the ongoing blockade of Gaza and create a humanitarian route. They did not specify how many vessels would sail.
Thiago Ávila, a Brazilian activist, said the flotilla expected to reach Gaza in mid-September would be
“the largest solidarity mission in history, with more people and more boats than all previous attempts combined.”
Dozens of boats will leave Tunisian and Mediterranean ports on 4 September. Israel has already stopped two earlier flotillas trying to deliver aid to Gaza by sea.
Israeli army’s views on its strike on Hezbollah
Israeli forces reported carrying out an attack on a Hezbollah-run location in southern Lebanon.
They added, “The existence of the site and the activity within it constitute a violation of the understandings between Israel and Lebanon.”
What Did David Lammy Say About Gaza Aid Delivery?
UK Foreign Secretary David Lammy urged Israel to allow a “surge in aid.” He pledged support for pregnant women and newborns in Gaza.
He said,
“The humanitarian situation in Gaza remains catastrophic, with famine in Gaza City and women and girls bearing the brunt of the suffering.”
Mr Lammy stated,
“The UK is doing all we can to improve the situation, but we remain crystal clear: for aid to have impact, Israel must ensure it is allowed in and delivered safely and securely to civilians in desperate need.”
Britain will provide £3m via UNFPA to support midwives in Gaza. Around 130 women give birth there daily.
The foreign secretary said,
“This new funding will help improve midwifery provisions and make giving birth safer. It is critical to improve the situation for mothers and their newborn babies.”
He added,
“But this funding can only have maximum impact if the government of Israel allows it. Israel must ensure the protection of civilians, including healthcare staff and health infrastructure, and enable the delivery of life-saving medicines, medical equipment and healthcare supplies into Gaza. We need an immediate ceasefire, the release of all hostages, a surge in aid and a framework to deliver long-term peace.”
Key facts about the Gaza-Israel conflict
The war began on 7 October 2023 when Hamas attacked, killing 1,200 and taking 251 hostages. Gaza deaths have risen to 63,000+, mostly civilians, while over 1,200 Israelis were killed and 13,500+ wounded.
The conflict has caused famine, widespread displacement, and triggered war crime accusations. International bodies have condemned actions on both sides.