UK (Parliament Politics Magazine) – British Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer vows the UK will always support Ukraine, stressing unity with allies and commitment to a just and lasting peace.
As reported by The Independent, Sir Keir Starmer tells MPs Britain will “never falter” in backing Ukraine ahead of the “coalition of the willing” call.
What did Keir Starmer say about Ukraine and Russian attacks?
Following last week’s G20 summit, Sir Keir Starmer told the Commons he is committed to a “just and lasting peace” for Ukraine and maintaining Kyiv’s sovereignty.
He said,
“Ukraine’s sovereignty must be maintained and that Ukraine should be able to defend itself in the future,”
condemning ongoing Russian attacks on Ukraine, accusing Moscow of a relentless campaign targeting innocent civilians.
The prime minister warns of continued Russian aggression, citing the recent interception of two Russian ships in British waters.
Mr Starmer said last night he celebrated his daughter’s 15th birthday, but later watched TV footage of a girl her age being pulled from rubble in Ukraine, where her mother had been killed.
The Labour leader added,
“It’s abhorrent beyond belief that Ukraine lives the same story every night in their cities and every day on the front line where so many Ukrainians are killed fighting for their freedom.”
He stated,
“We should not forget that Putin’s aggression, his illegal actions and his total disregard for human life has taken a huge toll on his own people. Thousands of Russian soldiers are killed every single day – 100,000 have been killed attacking Donetsk. In total, more than one million Russians have been killed or injured because of the depraved ambition of one man.”
In the Commons, the prime minister confirmed he had spoken to US President Donald Trump and welcomed the US’s continued efforts to halt the war and protect civilians.
Mr Starmer said the American peace plan had “unacceptable points” while highlighting important aspects, including security guarantees from the US and its partners.
He confirmed discussions with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky earlier today, saying Ukraine has not agreed to a peace plan.
The prime minister told MPs,
“My understanding is this is not a new agreement, it is Ukraine confirming they are happy with the draft that emerged in Geneva yesterday, which of course doesn’t cover the question of territory.”
Mr Starmer added,
“So my best understanding is this is a confirmation of basically what came out of Geneva but it isn’t a new set of proposals or agreements in any way.”
The prime minister is set to convene a meeting of 36 coalition nations on Tuesday to review Ukraine’s peace process and plans for a possible peacekeeping mission.
Mr Zelensky is expected to travel to Washington this week to complete final steps and secure a deal with President Trump.
Referring to Reform UK-Russia links, the Labour leader urges Nigel Farage’s party to investigate potential pro-Russia links after Reform senior figure Nathan Gill’s 10-year jail sentence, stressing the Commons must remain united.
Mr Starmer thanked Tory leader Kemi Badenoch for her support and acknowledged the previous government’s work.
The prime minister continued,
“It is shocking, that a senior official, the leader in Wales, has been jailed for over ten years for pro-Russia bribes. That is extraordinary. And that is why I say the Reform leadership should have the courage to launch an investigation. How on earth did that happen? And what other links are there? Reform, with the pro-Putin approach, would have absolutely no role in bringing allies together on important issues.”
What did Number 10 say about UK troops and coalition plans for Ukraine?
Number 10 said it would not anticipate Tuesday’s discussions but confirmed planning continues after the UK and France’s summer commitment to a multinational force to aid Ukraine’s peace.
When questioned if the UK was still ready to deploy troops, Sir Keir Starmer’s spokesman said,
“If you’re asking me directly, is the UK still willing to put boots on the ground in the event of hostilities ceasing, the answer is yes.”
How many civilians have died in Ukraine since the invasion?
The full-scale war in Ukraine began on 24 February 2022, when Russia launched a large-scale invasion of the country.
At least 14,534 civilians have been killed since the full-scale invasion began on February 24, 2022, in Ukraine. The total number of civilian casualties (killed and injured) has reached 53,006 as of late 2025.
Civilian casualties in 2025 were 27% higher for the January-October period compared to the same time in 2024. The number of deaths in the first ten months of 2025 (12,062) had already exceeded the total for all of 2024 (9,112).

