Birthstone jewellery, particularly rings, have been a popular present to give loved ones for years. You might be faintly aware of what your birthstone is, but there could actually be more than one option. Express.co.uk talks you through the birthstone colours. What is the birthstone for December?
There are two pain lists of birthstones – one comes from 16th and 18th century Polish tradition and the other from American jewellers in 1912.
The idea of gemstones being related to birthdays and the zodiac dates back to the first century.
Jewish historian Josephus suggested that the 12 stones in Aaron’s breastplate in the Book of Exodus – the second book of the Bible – were linked to the 12 zodiac signs and months of the year.
The most modern list of the birthstones is the National Association of Jeweller’s list that was released in 1912, and these are connected to the birth month only.
You may have more than two birthstones because not only do the star signs span two months, you can pick and choose from the different classification systems.
For example, if you are a February Aquarius you will have different stones because it was decided that a particular stone is the stone of January and Aquarius.
You may also have a different stone based on whether you go with the modern list or the traditional one.
It’s up to you to choose the stone you feel most connected with.
What is the birthstone for December?
A birthstone crystal or piece of jewellery is a lovely gift to get someone this December.
December babies are either Sagittarians or Capricorns.
The birthstone for December in the modern system is tanzanite or turquoise, but traditionally was bloodstone or ruby.
If you want to go by star sign, Sagittarius’ stone is topaz and Capricorn’s is ruby.
Birthstone colours- by month
- January – Garnet
- February – Amethyst (or traditionally could be hyacinth or pearl too)
- March – Aquamarine or bloodstone
- April – Diamond or rock crystal (traditionally could be rock crystal)
- May – Emerald or chrysoprase (traditionally could be agate)
- June – Pearl of moonstone (traditionally was cats eye, turquoise or agate)
- July – Ruby or carnelian (traditionally was turquoise or onyx)
- August – Peridot or sardonyx (traditionally could be carnelian, moonstone or topaz too)
- September – Sapphire or lapiz lazuli (traditionally could be chrysolite)
- October – Opal (traditionally could be aquamarine or tourmaline)
- November – Topaz or citrine
- December – Tanzanite or turquoise (traditionally was bloodstone or ruby)
Birthstone colours- by star sign
- Aries – Bloodstone
- Taurus – Sapphire
- Gemini – Agate
- Cancer – Emerald
- Leo – Onyx
- Virgo – Carnelian
- Libra- Chrysolite
- Scorpio- Beryl
- Sagittarius- Topaz
- Capricorn- Ruby
- Aquarius- Garnet
- Pisces- Amethyst